Thursday, February 04, 2010

Homemade Cleaners

So Laura, these are for you. :)
When I was researching recipes, most everything said to use the Alkaline cleaner for basic cleaning. And I use it occasionally. But I really like the Acidic cleaner. I use it all the time. Maybe it's because I don't use cleaner for things like wiping off counters, or maybe its because I have hard water, or because I have a small child, but I find the Acidic cleaner is what I reach for first. I spray it on, leave it for a minute or so, then wipe clean. It works great!

All Purpose Cleaner - Acidic
The acid in this cleaner will dissolve mineral buildup and neutralize and deodorize many body fluid odors.

1/4 c white distilled vinegar
1/2 t liquid soap or detergent
3/4 c warm water
couple of drops of essential oil - I like orange oil

Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to blend before use. Spray surface generously then wipe clean.
 
All Purpose Cleaner - Alkaline
This is the all-purpose cleanser you should reach for first, because it works on most dirt.

1/2 t washing soda (NOT baking soda)
2 t borax
1/2 t liquid soap or detergent
2 c hot water
couple of drops of essential oil - I like orange oil

Combine the washing soda, borax, and soap in a spray bottle. Pour in the hot water (it will dissolve the minerals), screw on the lid, and shake to blend and dissolve. Spritz on surface and wipe to clean. For tough dirt, leave the cleaner on for few minutes before wiping it off.
This cleaner is environmentally friendly, but the washing soda and borax are caustic, so keep out of reach of children and pets.
 

3 comments:

carra said...

Thank you, Melodie. Picking out a cleaner recipe to make "my own" has been on my list of things to do. They're easy enough to find online, but it's nice to know how someone I know does it.

And remind me, your laundry soap recipe is 1c each of borax, baking soda, washing soda and a half cup of soap? Is that correct?

Melodie Booton said...

I hope it is helpful, Carra. And yes, my laundry soap is:
1/2 c soap
1 c borax
1 c washing soda
1 c baking soda

Grind it all up in a food processor and use a tablespoon for a large load.

Laura Lyons said...

Thanks, Melodie. I've successfully been using homemade laundry detergent for the last couple of months. I just may have to try this now. Where do you get your essential oil--online or a place in town?